Monday, October 12, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Cream Sauce

Brent's Mom passed this recipe on to me. These suckers are delicious. I think it is the cream sauce (when does cream not make anything taste better?) that makes them so good. I know my pic isn't too appetizing. Sorry for that. This is on leftover night cause I forgot to take my pic the night I made them. It makes TONS. This will make you 2 9x13 pans. So half it or make some for your freezer. I just pulled a pan out of the freezer the other day. I thawed them out then baked them up. They were great. I admit, they are a bit labor intensive...but I promise your work pays off.
Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Cream Sauce

3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 8 oz container sour cream
1 8 oz. package Monetary Jack cheese, shredded
1 onion, chopped
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
24 6 inch corn tortillas
Tomatillo Cream Sauce
1 8 oz package Colby and Monetary Jack cheese blend, shredded
Sliced green onions, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two 13x9x2-inch baking dishes
In a large bowl, combine chicken and next 8 ingredients. Spoon 2 tablespoons chicken mixture down center of each tortilla. Fold sides over, enclosing filling. Place filled tortillas, in a single layer, seam side down, in prepared baking dishes. Spoon Tomatillo Cream Sauce evenly over enchiladas. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.

Tomatillo Cream Sauce

1 28 ounce can tomatillos, drained
1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream

In a large skillet, combine tomatillos, broth, chilies, cumin, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat: reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Pour mixture into container of an electric blender or food processor. Pulse mixture several times until smooth. Return mixture to skillet; stir in cream and cook 2 min. on low.

No comments:

Post a Comment